What makes The Shepherd's Center of Chesterfield unique is that all of our programs and services are provided by volunteers. There is very little cost beyond our volunteer management and basic office expenses. Our drivers use their own vehicles with no reimbursement for gas or tolls. No teachers or lecturers receive any remuneration. Yet, our modest operating expenses make the work of the Center possible.
The Shepherd's Center of Chesterfield is the only organization in the community that provides free, accompanied, transportation to medical appointments and grocery shopping for seniors.
Each year, we employ two part-time staff members who manage the running of the Center and the work of almost 300 volunteers. We are blessed to have our office space generously donated by Lucy Corr Village which helps with our associated expenses. We have enrolled over 648 individuals, provided over 1,884 drives, and offered 75 classes.
Many foundations are reluctant to give grants solely for operating expenses. This is an ongoing challenge for us. Our business model is so efficient and effective that operating funds are all we need. For this reason, we rely on the support of individuals like you. Since 2001, The Shepherd's Center has been a leader in central Virginia in the field of aging. We continue to make a significant impact. We invite you to participate with us through your support.
When you become a supporter of The Shepherd's Center of Chesterfield:
- You make it possible for an older person to have caring, compassionate, reliable transportation to medical appointments.
- You directly help someone here in our community to have access to healthy, nutritious food.
- You relieve the burden of loneliness and isolation.
- You support and encourage the volunteers who provide these services.
- You become a leader in the community – one who feels passionately that a person's humanity, dignity, and worth will never decline with age.